Cleaning the trash cans is one of those chores that I would like to never do. Ever. I hate the thought of getting down and dirty with the old food and dirty diaper stench. But sooner or later I know I have to clean out a few of the nastiest places in my house.
The easiest way I have found to clean the trash cans out is a short process that I do about every six months that is fairly painless. I always wait until trash day so that all of the cans are empty and I can knock it all out at once.
- The first step is to take ALL of your empty trashcans outside (in the morning). Bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchen…every one of them!
- Use your outdoor hose to fill them up about 3/4 of the way with water.
- Then squirt some Dawn dish soap into the cans while they are filling with water. The amount of dish soap you use is going to vary with the size of your trash can, so use your best judgement!
- Let them soak all day…
- Okay maybe not all day, but several hours later come back outside with a toilet bowl brush and some rubber gloves. Get to scrubbin’.
- Dump the trashcans and if they are still stinky then repeat the process, but replace the dish soap with bleach. Nine times out of ten the dish soap works for me, but if not the bleach can finish the job and will for sure remove any lingering odors.
Some other great trash can tips…
I keep nursery fresheners in the bottom of our trash cans to help eliminate the odor!
If you’d like to do things the all- natural way, place a folded up paper towel in the bottom of the trashcan with a few drops of your favorite essential oil on it. I would use either lemon or purification for this!