The Christmas book countdown has to be one of the best holiday countdown ideas I have ever heard of. It is a great countdown tradition to add along with crossing the days of the calendar!
This post contains affiliate links.
If you have never heard of this Christmas tradition, the idea is that you begin with 25 wrapped books (or not wrapped if you don’t have the time) and each day starting on December 1st you unwrap a book and read it together. The smaller the stack of books gets, the closer you are to Christmas!
For toddlers, I think that using board books for this tradition would be much easier. That way if you end up not having time to sit down and read the book to your toddler they can still “read” the book on their own.
I pretty much only allow my toddler to read board books, even when I am helping, because she’s pretty good at tearing things up 😉
25 Holiday Board Books for Christmas Book Countdown
- Christmas in the Manger
- Merry Christmas, Mouse!
- Who is Coming to Our House?
- Spot’s Christmas
- Curious George Christmas Countdown
- Biscuit’s Pet & Play Christmas
- A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Bright Baby Touch & Feel Merry Christmas
- Ted on the Sled
- Duck & Goose, It’s Time for Christmas!
- Merry Christmas, Ollie
- Good Night Christmas
- Biscuit Gives a Gift
- Christmas Peekaboo!
- B is for Bethlehem: A Christmas Alphabet Board Book
- The Legend of the Christmas Stocking: An Inspirational Story of a Wish Come True
- Spot’s First Christmas
- The Twelve Days of Christmas
- I’m Not Santa!
- Jingle & Joy
- Carry and Play: Christmas
- What is Christmas?
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
- Silent Night
- Tonight You Are My Baby: Mary’s Christmas Gift